Well, I’m flabbergasted by the response to being Freshly Pressed, and thrilled to have attracted the attention of not one, but 2 bloggers who have nominated me for the Liebster Award.
Some of you may be wondering, ‘What is the Liebster Award?’ The following is quoted from Petits Gâteaux de Marie:
“The Liebster Award was created to recognize and/or discover new bloggers and warmly welcome them to the world of blogging. The word “liebster” originates from the German language and has the following meanings: favorite, preferred above others, liked or loved above others, etc.”
I am excited to pass on some of this love by nominating a number of other bloggers out there. I realize that some people are anti-awards, and for those who are, please don’t feel obligated to participate. I’m just trying to pass the love on, and make the wide, world of the internet a little more like a community. In searching for other blogs to nominate, I discovered some gems and also used this an opportunity to highlight bloggers I already follow.
The rules for accepting the award can be found below, but consequently 22 questions must be answered instead of the usual 11. This is mostly because through my amazing powers for procrastination, I never answered the first blogger who nominated me and then got nominated again. :-). Thank you to Petits Gâteaux de Marie and The Domesticated Philosopher for the nominations. Please check out their blogs. This was fun!
1. What is your favorite Disney movie? Beauty and the Beast, of course! Who doesn’t love a heroine who loves books? Mulan would be my second favorite, since she is Asian and I’m glad my children are growing up seeing that not all the heroines are pasty white chicks. Just sayin’.
2. Where is the best vacation spot that you’ve been to? My honeymoon was a cheap 4-day cruise to the Bahamas, but it was definitely one of the best vacations I’ve ever had 😉
3. If you could be any animal for a day, what would it be? Why? A dolphin, for two reasons–I would love to know what it feels like to be swimming without the fear of drowning at any moment, and I’d like to know what goes on in a dolphin’s brain.
4. Why did you start a blog? The short answer is because my N-sister made me! But really, it’s a place for me to write and connect with others.
5. What is your favorite food? Why? This is probably the hardest question for someone who loves food as much as I do. I love pretty much all Vietnamese foods and pho is probably my favorite, however, green chile cheese fries are pretty awesome also.
6. What would be your life’s slogan? Love one another as I have loved you and Love your neighbor as yourself. It’s one of my favorite Bible verses, and speaks to how we should respect not only others, but also ourselves.
7. What languages do you speak? Besides the obvious (English), I also speak Vietnamese, though not fluently enough to be trusted to carry out hostage negotiations. I should be able to speak French with the many years I studied it, but that probably won’t happen until I convince my husband to move to France.
8. Do you write outside of blogging? Why or why not? Yes, but not as much as I do when blogging. It is mostly a phrase or a few paragraphs to jog my memory for later.
9. Do you prefer being indoors or outdoors? Why? As much as I would like to say I love being outdoors, which I do, all the books are inside! So I prefer being closer to the books, which are usually indoors.
10. What is the first thing you do most mornings? Turn off the alarm clock. Quickly, and abruptly.
11. Where do you find peace for yourself? When I’m with my family, I am at peace, but I am most peaceful in a library or church.
And now these are the questions from DomesticPhilosopher:
Would you rather visit the past or the future? That’s a difficult one being a science fiction fan. If I visit the past I might irrevocably alter the future, and I’m pretty happy with my present, and if I visit the future and discover that I don’t get to live to be over 100 and there are no flying cars yet or space travel for us ordinary folk, I’m going to be very sad. Maybe a visit to the past to see some of my loved ones who have passed away already.
Do you believe that everything happens for a reason? Absolutely.
What is your favourite animal and why? I’m a big fan of elephants, because they live in families, are loyal to one another, and love their babies.
Would you like to be famous? I would like to do something that lives on after I die, but I would not want anyone to be able to chase me around with cameras invading my privacy.
What has been the happiest moment in your life so far? The day each of my children was born, and my wedding day which is pretty stereotypical, I know, but that’s how it worked out.
If you could live anywhere where would it be? Probably in a very luxurious camper which I could move from country to country, because it would be impossible to pick one place. Plus, I haven’t been that many places, so I can’t say as of yet.
What is the best compliment you have ever received? When someone said my oldest daughter was just like me, as I am very proud of what a wonderful person she has grown up to be–kind, quirky, funny, talented, and very smart.
What’s the worst chat-up line someone has used on you/you have used? I recently had the cashier at the grocery store ask me if my mother would let me date white men. My husband wanted me to say my mother would, but my husband wouldn’t approve.
Would you be a child again? Nope, I was a very unhappy child.
Do you think money makes you happy? Money doesn’t make anyone happy, but it certainly makes things easier.
Do you think men and women will ever be truly equal? I doubt it, men still have a long way to go to catch up to us. Just kidding!
***There are several rules by which you must abide in accepting this award:
1. Link the person who nominated you (that’s me) to your blog post and let them know you answered their questions.
2. Answer the 11 questions given to you by the nominator.
3. Nominate other bloggers (11) for the award that have fewer than 200 followers.
4. Create 11 questions for your nominees to answer.
5. Let the nominees know that they have been nominated by going to their blog and notifying them.
Here are my nominees for the Liebster Award:
And here are my 11 questions:
- If your blog could change one thing in the world, what would it be and why?
- What do you think would be or would have been the worst job in the world for you and why?
- Does your name, first, middle and/or last, have any special meaning or significance?
- If you could choose one age to be immortalized at, what would it be and why?
- How did you meet your current or past most significant other?
- What has been the most frightening event in your life?
- Where were you on 9/11/01 when you heard about the planes crashing into the twin towers?
- Who is your favorite poet and/or what is your favorite poem?
- What is the most exotic food you’ve ever eaten and where were you when you ate it?
- What is your favorite genre of movie to watch?
- Where do you fall in the birth order of your siblings or are you an only child, and do you think this has any bearing on who you are today?